Sleep apnea symptoms can be different in kids as compared to adults. It is a sleep disorder that causes an individual to have breathing pauses while he/she sleeps. The two most common sleep apnea types include – central sleep apnea and obstructive sleep apnea.
Central apnea occurs when the brain parts responsible for breathing fail to function properly. However, obstructive apnea is caused by nose or throat blockage. Sleep apnea in Laguna Beach helps you decrease the risk of heart issues and stroke, depression, mortality, etc.
Sleep apnea symptoms do not occur at night time. But if your little one is having restless sleep, contact Dentist in Laguna Beach immediately.
Young kids and infants with central sleep apnea may not experience snoring. However, the only sign is disturbed sleep. But for many adults, the only sign of sleep apnea is sleepiness or fatigue during the daytime.
About 3% – 12% of kids have sleep apnea. Most of the children with sleep apnea untreated face adaptive, behavioral, and learning problems. They are the same as the ADHD signs.
Below are the common signs of sleep apnea in kids:
• Breathing pauses
• Choking or coughing while asleep
• Sleeping in strange positions
• Fear and trembling
• Snoring loudly
• Breathing via mouth
Symptoms of sleep apnea differ from one adult to another. The most common signs include:
• Dry mouth due to breathing via the mouth.
• Insomnia, restless sleep, or constant awakeness during sleep.
• Lack of energy or feeling of sleepiness in the daytime even after a full night’s sleep.
• Morning headache due to lack of oxygen or poor sleep.
• Mood swings and irritation.
• Sleepiness while driving.
• Waking up with gasping or choking occasionally.
• Less interest in sex or sexual dysfunction.
• Snoring loudly through the night.
• Waking up in early morning with a dry/sore throat.
• Dizziness while waking up.
• Difficulty in concentrating or memory issues while awake.
• Waking often for peeing at night.
• Gastroesophageal reflux disease.
• High blood pressure
• Hypersomnia (excess sleepiness during daytime)
• Risk factors of sleep apnea such as smoking tobacco, drinking alcohol, obesity.
Look at the warning signs of apnea in toddlers while they are sleeping:
• Choking or coughing
• Pauses in breathing
• Facing problems while breathing or snoring.
• Sweating constantly
The following are the sleep apnea signs in toddlers while they are awake:
• Falling asleep at an incorrect time.
• Frustration and ill-feeling.
• Slow growth(weight and height).
• Health issues associated with Adenoid or tonsil.
Before the doctor diagnoses the patient with sleep apnea disorder, he/she finds out the possible reasons for the signs.
• Look out for other medical conditions that could result in sleep apnea symptoms.
• Ask if you have traveled to an altitude more than 6000 ft recently.
• Ask if you take any medicines that affect sleep.
The following things help the specialist identify sleep apnea:
The doctor reviews your family history for apnea and other sleep disorders. Depending on the data, the expert will determine your science.
The doctor will also physically examine you to find out the symptoms that can increase the risk of sleep apnea. These usually include big tonsils, narrowing of upper airways, obesity, etc.
The expert may also look at your heart, lungs, and neurological system to see if they have any issues associated with apnea. During a physical exam, the doctor may also examine your jaw structure and size and tongue positioning and size.
For a sleep study, the doctor may also refer the patient to a sleep expert. The study helps in:
• Determining oxygen levels in the blood while sleeping.
• Identifying events while sleeping that is mainly associated with apnea.
• Seeing activity of the brain and heart while resting.
• Finding high or low activity levels in muscles responsible for breathing control.
Depending upon the total number of apnea events the patient had in one hour, the professional diagnoses him/her with moderate, mild, or severe sleep apnea disorder. Get the benefits of sleep apnea near you today!
Snoring loudly at night signifies that you are in a serious problem. Get in touch with the doctor at Laguna Family Dentistry. If you have the signs of sleep apnea, the expert may suggest sleep apnea treatment like losing extra weight, using CPAP machines, changing sleep positions, etc.
Interested in improving your quality of sleep? Try our Sleep Strips! They help you improve the quality of your sleep through nasal breathing.Purchase Sleep Strips